Sunday, September 16, 2012

Blog Assignment #3

Peer Editing
two young boys peer editing
I never knew there were three steps involved in peer editing until I watched the video, "What is Peer Editing?" When editing a peer’s paper I always compliment it and correct it, but I never suggest things for them to make better. This is good step that I will definitely add while completing C4C #2, and all other comments in the future."Peer Edit With Perfection Tutorial,” basically reiterated what “What is Peer Editing” said. Both videos were very informative, and they were a good refresher for what I need to do going forward.

"Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes,” was a very adorable video. Whatever William and Off Task Oliver were my favorite kids in the video, but all of them did an amazing job. The video was light and fun, while still being educational. Speedy Sandy reminded me of when I was a kid peer editing my fellow classmates paper. My teacher use to always tell me to “slow down!”

Technology in Special Education
Technology is vital for people with special needs. The video "Technology in Special Education," proves how important technology is for special needs people to communicate. Lacy Cook did an amazing job demonstrating how instrumental it is in their learning process. Special needs children face so many obstacles in their day to day lives. Having technology in the classroom not only helps them overcome some of their obstacles, but it also helps the teacher spread out his/her time.

In the video, the children were able to complete their work independently with the help of technology. The technology can help the children feel fulfilled by doing something on their own instead of always needing help. As we saw in the video, some special needs students can’t speak well, or some at all. Laptops can help students that can’t verbalize what they’re trying to say easier by giving them a way to type it. I know someone that can’t speak or move, because of Lou Gehrig’s Disease (ALS). Her laptop types out what she wants to say through retina interaction.

Technology is an amazing thing that helps special needs children more than some people will ever know. It is also a very expensive thing, and I know funding plays a huge role in how much of it we can have in the classroom. When I’m a teacher I will do everything I can to have the best there is for my students.

How the iPad Works with Academics for Autism
"How the iPad Works with Academics for Autism" is a pretty incredible video. I guess I’ve always known iPads are amazing, but actually seeing it help teach a child with autism how to count and read is just remarkable. After I finished watching the video, I went to the website, "Apple.EducationApps.com" to pick out which app I would choose for my students. After searching through the app store I decided on, "Motion Math Zoom." The app is fun, colorful, easy to use, and educational. The main theme behind the app is teaching kids how to use numbers with animals.
dog helping to learn how to count


I downloaded this app after I picked it to try it out. This app really is educational for children, and the best part about it is that it's free! Being free gives the parents of the kids more incentive to purchase it. The app has six free levels, and then you can purchase the full version to get twenty-four levels. Using educational apps in the classroom is such a wonderful idea, and I'm excited about the day that I can use them!

Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts
Vicki Davis is the kind of teacher that every school needs. She show us that students can teach us in the video,“Harness Your Students’ Digital Smarts”. She chooses to use technology in the classroom over pen and paper. I really like this because it keeps students interested. Using pen and paper, and doing the same repetitive thing every day is boring, and students are losing interest too fast. The technology Vicki Davis uses keeps her students interested, and connects them with other people around the world.

I think it’s really cool that her students are able to teach her about their assignments. In a way, Vicki Davis has the same idea as EDM310. She pushes her students to find information on their own instead of just giving it to them. I believe this method is far more affective than giving students answers that they will forget as soon as they walk out of the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment