Sunday, September 9, 2012

Blog Assignment #2

Did You Know? 3.0-A John Strange 2012 Version
"Did You Know? 3.0-A John Strange 2012 Version" and "Did You Know 3.0 by Karl Fisch and Scott McLeod" is a huge eye-opener to say the least. I think my mouth was dropped throughout the entire videos. I had no idea that India was so much further ahead than us academically. It’s crazy to think that more people in China may be speaking English than in the United States. This video has so many shocking facts, but I think the biggest one was that 1,097,220 videos are watched in one minute on YouTube. Just reading that it would be hard for me to believe, but knowing that my fiancĂ© spends a good hour a day watching YouTube videos, I believe it.

Another thing that caught me by surprise are how many text messages are sent a minute. What caught me by surprise even more is how many text messages are sent from 7th-12th graders. I didn’t even get a cell phone until I was in 9th grade. Now, seeing an eight year old with an Iphone is common. It’s almost unbelievable to think about how far technology has come in the past few years. I can’t even imagine what technology is going to be like in a few more years!

Mr. Winkle Wakes
Mr. Winkle
This video may be short, but it’s very powerful."Mr Winkle Wakes" shows how the whole world around us is becoming more technologically advanced, except for in the classroom. I believe the classroom should be one of the most technologically advanced places there is. It’s where children’s futures are shaped, so shouldn’t’ that be more important?

Obviously, funding plays a huge role in how technologically advanced a school is going to be, but that shouldn’t stop teachers from striving to keep students involved. It makes me wonder; even if schools did have the technology they should have, would the teachers use it? I remember when some of my teachers had an issue switching to a dry erase board from a chalkboard. I know that I will always be a teacher that will mold the curriculum I’m teaching around the most advanced technology available.

Sir Ken Robinson:The Importance of Creativity
Bored little girl at school
Sir Ken Robinson's video "The Importance of Creativity" was a very informative video while still being entertaining. He brought a lot to my attention that I wasn’t really aware of. Schools really don’t support creativity the way they should. Schools become to boggled down with keeping to a syllabus, and they don’t branch out to make the classroom a fun place. Art and drama classes should be added into a school’s curriculum, and be made just as important as English and Math.

One quote Robinson said that really stuck out to me was, “we don’t grow into creativity, we grow out of it.” When we’re young we have all the free time in the world to be creative. When we get older our day-to-day responsibilities become far more important than being artistic. I think if artistic classes were taken more seriously in the classroom, then children that were inattentive would be more attentive. They would have a greater desire to want to be there if they were doing something they enjoyed. Robinson said another quote that I liked. He said, “if you’re not prepared to be wrong, you will never be original.” Obviously, no one like to be wrong, but I think if kids weren’t scared to answer a question wrong in the classroom then they would have far more opportunities to be creative.

The Future of Glass
I can sum up "A Day Made of Glass 2" with one word, remarkable! It’s so hard to believe that technology could be that advanced. The whole time I was watching the video I couldn’t stop hoping that I would get to experience this kind of technology in my life. Then I watched "A Day Made of Glass 2: Unpacked: The Story Behind Corning’s Vision” and realized I might be able to. It’s crazy to think that the technology we see in movies about the future could be the technology we’re seeing soon. One thing that stuck out to me was advancement of technology in the hospital. I can’t even imagine how medically advanced we could become if we have technology like that!

technology they showed in the classrooms really blew my mind. Students will be excited to go to school when this is how they learn. The class activity table was, amazing, but the most intriguing thing about the video, A Day Made of Glass 2: Unpacked. The Story Behind Corning,” was the tablets. Each student had an individual tablet that connected to the teacher. I think Mr. Winkle Wakes would be so proud of the advancement of technology in the classroom. The video showed the classroom evolving with the world, and that’s all Mr. Winkle Wakes wanted! I was really happy when I watched, Project Glass: Live Demo at Google,” and found out that apple is becoming more highly developed with the glass technology. I hope I have some wearable computer glasses soon!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Sara! I really enjoyed reading your blog post #2. Your excitement throughout your blog was very pleasant to read. I also liked the way you incorporated Mr. Winkle Wakes when you were talking about A Day Made of Glass 2. Although I did see just a few grammar mistakes, your blog was still very enjoyable. Your blog was really fun to read because I also was amazed by how quickly technology is advancing! As future teachers we have to always be ready to conform to how swiftly technology is evolving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Sara! I thought your post was well written, with only a few grammatical errors, and you included the clickable links into the body of text. Be sure to include alt and title modifiers on all of your images though.
    Keep up the good work,
    Carly

    ReplyDelete