Sunday, November 11, 2012

Blog Assignment #11

students blogging
The video,"Little Kids Big Potential," is about a first grade class in Moose Jaw, Canada. The teacher of this class, Ms. Cassidy, uses numerous forms of technology to help teach her class. These forms include blogs, a classroom webpage, wikis, videos, Skype and Nintendo DS to share, collaborate and learn in their classroom. The blogs really help the students with their writing skills. They can see what they're writing, and it helps them pronounce different words. It's also a fun way for them to interact with family members when they comment on their blogs. Family members can also stay updated on the students artwork, because it is posted on their blogs. Webpages make learning tools for the students a lot easier. Students can simply click a picture, and it will take them to what they're trying to learn about. Ms. Cassidy's students also use Wikis to learn about different topics such as traditions and rituals from people all around the world. Videos were used for the students to put into their blog, and show how they're learning different things. The students can use Skype to communicate with students in different places. The students even got to communicate with experts in different fields they're learning about through Skype. The nintendo DS helped the students share, and solve problems. I was impressed seeing such young children interact with technology that I just started interacting with as a college student. Having technology in the classroom is definitely something I am going to push for!

Skype interview
Dr. Strange and Ms. Cassidy had a skype interview with each other to discuss the technology she uses in her classroom. In the video, Ms. Cassidy says she started using technology because she was given five computers in her classroom. The main thing Ms. Cassidy answered that I had questions about was students privacy. While the internet is an incredible thing, it can also be a dangerous thing if proper precautions are not taken. Ms. Cassidy says that she protects her students by keeping their last names private. Her students are only allowed to put their first names beside their work, and they all know not to put their last. She also doesn't allow a name to be beside a picture, and she requires parental consent before a students work can be posted. I personally love the idea of students blogging about their work. It gives family members the freedom of viewing their child's work on a daily basis without having to go to the school.

After watching the Skype interview and Ms. Cassidy's class video, I can really picture the way having technology in the classroom would go. I've always known I want technology to be present, but I never realized how much I would want my students to blog until now. Another thing that I know I will want to do after watching the videos is Skype. I think Skype is such an awesome learning tool that could really benefit students. Skype can change a boring everyday routine to something students are excited about. I think it would be really neat for my future students to be able to Skype with other classes, and to talk to experts in the skills we're studying.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Sara,
    I really enjoyed reading your post because it summed up the blog assignment very well. Your pictures were great and your links work fine. I did not see any major errors in your blog but I was confused about the sentence “These forms include blogs, a classroom webpage, wikis, videos, Skype and Nintendo DS to share, collaborate and learn in their classroom.” Also make sure you always capitalize Nintendo and Skype. Another then those few minor errors I think you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara,

    Ms. Cassidy's classroom is proof that technology works to engage students of all ages! I am glad you see the benefits in this. There are concerns about safety but Ms. Cassidy's solution works well. Clearly, the benefits outweigh the risks. Good job on this post.

    ReplyDelete