Sunday, November 25, 2012

C4K November Summary (Final Post)

C4K #8

book, The Foxman
For blog post #8 I was assigned to comment on Carl D's blog. Carl is a student in Mr. Boylen's 8th grade class in Los Angeles, California. The blog post I chose to write about was called, "The Foxman." This post was based around a book that Carl read by Gary Paulsen. Carl proceeded to write in the blog about how much he enjoyed the book, because it was based off of being in the wilderness. I responded to Carl, and told him that I also have read a Gary Paulsen book called, Hatchet. I went on to tell Carl that I read the book when I was around his age per an assignment for a Literature class I was in. I also told him that when he was finished reading The Foxman that he should read Hatchet, because I thought he would really enjoy it.

C4K #9

october word
For C4K #9 I commented on Ashley L's blog. The blog post that I commented on was titled, "October Reflection." The post was about all of the activities that her class did during the month of October. Ashley's favorite thing that her class did that month was have a "monster bash". She said that during the bash they played games, ate a lot of candy, and made some Halloween crafts. She also said that after the bash they all got to write a creative story. Ashley wrote about a girl and a dog going to see a spooky movie with ghosts in it. During the month they also read a book that she really enjoy called, The One and Only Ivan. Ashley said that after her teacher finished reading her class the book, they all got to use iPads and write to each other about what they thought about the book. I started off my comment back to Ashley by telling her how much I enjoyed her blog post. I then told her how vivid she is in her writing, and they is a true talent that not a lot of people have. I then told her that October was always one of my favorite months during school too, and that the Halloween parties we had were always so much fun! I ended my comment back by telling her to continue blogging all throughout her schooling, because it's such a great way to stay connected with other students, and that it can help her become an even more creative writer.

C4K #10

cover of book called Speak
For C4K #10, then final C4K, I was assigned to comment on Erica Kelly's blog. Erica is a student in Ms. Martin's tenth grade class at Baldwin County High School. Her blog post that I commented on was titled, "Reflection," and it was dedicated to a book she read called Speak. The blog post wasn't very long, but she did get her point across about how much she loved the book. I had to do some research on this post, because I was not familiar with the book. After a quick google search, I found out the novel is by Laurie Halse Anderson (who is also the author of The Scarlett Letter). It's a young adult novel about rape, recovery, and confession. I was a bit weary about a tenth grader reading a book that has anything to do with rape, because that could possibly be extremely graphic. As I read into more about the book, I found out the main premise behind the book is about the victim expressing her voice through the art she produces in a teacher's classroom. I would have to read this book before making any firm judgments on it, but above all it's great that Ms. Martin's class is reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment